Project Engineer I (EE)
Company: New York Power Authority
Location: White Plains
Posted on: June 10, 2021
The Project Engineer supports the Energy Services Division or
Engineering & Design Division in achieving the Business Unit's
goals to improve energy efficiency and stimulate new energy
technologies in New York State through physical projects. The
Conservation Project Engineer works with customers to develop
multiple end use projects incorporating energy efficiency measures
to reduce the customers' energy consumption.
- Represent NYPA at customer meetings, design meetings,
contractor walk through, and presentations to customers.
- Prepare engineering calculations, estimates, and cost analyses
for feasibility/audit reports.
- Manage and implement multiple lighting, HVAC, controls,
wastewater treatment, and building envelope energy conservation
projects and new project development concurrently.
- Project responsibility can range from 2-5 projects depending on
scope. Projects are generally larger and more complex in nature and
require moderate oversight by Management on project
- Develop customer installation commitment documents including
cost recovery agreements requiring the development of economic
analyses and engineering specifications.
- Coordinate projects across multiple engineering disciplines.
Track and prepare status reports for all assigned projects.
- Evaluate project scope, review feasibility reports, make
presentations and recommendations, develop design documents and
specifications, evaluate bid results, and make recommendations for
- Develop and verify engineering, labor and material bid
specifications provided by staff and implementation
- Ensure that all design, code, licensing and operating and
maintenance requirements are met.
- Review project activities for technical content, accuracy, cost
control and schedule.
- Solve problems related to customer bill savings, design and
construction issues. Support the Senior/Lead Project Engineer and
other senior engineers in negotiating change orders to construction
and services contracts.
- Develop and verify all financial and billing documentation
relating to savings calculations supporting the cost-effective
direct install projects.
- Ensure that all financial resources expended by NYPA are fully
recovered from each program participant. Evaluate all change order
claims and payment invoices, while working as a team member with
other engineers inside and outside of NYPA to develop the most
cost-effective project designs.
- Coordinate activities between contractors / consultants /
equipment vendors / customers to provide project construction
quality assurance in adherence to project specifications and
compliance to state and local codes.
- Comply and enforce the compliance of hazardous material
handling, safety and environmental procedures.
- Keep abreast of the latest technological developments, products
and revisions to the NYPA project input parameters (electric
Production and Delivery rates, Interest During Construction (IDC),
financing term, discount rate, Gross Receipt Taxes (GRT),
Contracts, Environmental and Bond Counsel).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong knowledge of building mechanical/electrical systems and
related codes is required. Strong knowledge of water/wastewater
treatment systems is preferred.
- Technical knowledge across multiple engineering
- Strong background and experience interacting and liaising with
engineering consultants and labor contractors.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to plan,
execute and complete multiple projects from start to finish on time
and within budget with minimal direction and support from
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; good written and verbal
communication skills with the ability to organize information and
effectively present ideas to the intended audience.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze existing conditions in a
facility, and address issues related to contracts, equipment design
- Ability to analyze and address environmental concerns as they
relate to customer requirements and, with the guidance of more
senior engineers, develop cost effective engineering solutions to
non-routine problems. Ability to exercise good judgment and
influence others, while working effectively with consultants,
contractors, and equipment suppliers. Ability to proactively
recognize problems that arise during analysis procedures or in
- Ability to further develop technical knowledge in utility
service rate analyses (gas & electric), energy analysis, life cycle
cost analysis, NYPA contracts, project financing strategies, and
energy systems and controls is required.
- Working knowledge of SAP, Oracle Primavera, and Microsoft Teams
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or
related engineering discipline.
- Minimum of five (5) years of engineering experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years of project management
- Professional certifications such as Project Management
Professional Certification (PMPC) or Certified Energy Manager
(CEM), or an advanced degree in an engineering, scientific or
business discipline preferred.
- Qualifications to sit for Part I of the PE exam preferred.
- Approximately 25% travel primarily within NY State.
- Ability to access all areas of the site and conduct physical
evaluations of grounds and equipment including ability to climb and
work at high elevations, walk a significant distance, sometimes on
uneven ground, and occasional minor lifting.
- Availability to work outside of normal business hours
(including weekends) when project demands.
Military Occupational Speciality Codes
MOS - Army: 12A, 12B, 12P, 18C, 24A, 24Z, 51S
MOS - Marines: 1120, 1302, 1310, 8824, 8831, 8832, 9622, 9624,
9630, 9631, 9632, 9636
MOS - Navy: EA, MME, UT, 2166, 2167, 2170, 2180, 2181, 2740,
4210, 4270, 4280, 5761, 5904, 5913, 5917, 5925, 5927, 5960, 5961,
5970, 5980, 7273
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: New York Power Authority, White Plains , Project Engineer I (EE), Other , White Plains, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!