Director Corporate Strategy
Company: New York Power Authority
Location: White Plains
Posted on: March 9, 2023
SummaryNYPA is building an internal strategic consulting
function reporting to the SVP of Strategy and Corporate
Development. The Director Corporate Strategy will be crucial in
building the function. The Director Corporate Strategy works
closely with senior members of the organization on a variety of
projects to advance NYPA's mission. Projects will focus on various
areas of the energy value stream covering generation, transmission,
distribution and the customer. The Director Corporate Strategy
will, design, and lead projects end-to-end, typically in the areas
of innovation, strategy development, forward-looking thought
leadership, or business transformation. Through project work, the
Director Corporate Strategy will develop key working relationships
with executives across the organization.
Initiatives that the Director Corporate Strategy will be involved
in shaping, leading and delivering, include:
- Energy investment analysis, business planning and operations
- Strategy development to pursue new opportunities / mitigate
risks in the marketplace
- Innovation projects that support the effective transformation
of NYPA into a leading utility of the future.
The Director Corporate Strategy is expected to be well-organized,
exhibit a keen attention to detail, and display a passion for
looking ways to optimize the process of gathering data, reporting,
and recommending improvements where needed.#LI-CJ1Responsibilities
- Manage on day-to-day basis successful strategy project
execution by overseeing the development of business cases, work
plans, primary and secondary research, and qualitative and
- Craft storylines that clearly articulate findings, insights,
- Communicate with leadership to move the organization to
- Managing and mentoring junior members of the team.
- Build and own relationships with key stakeholders by directing
team towards consensus points & gaining buy-in.
- Utilizing adept mentoring, coaching, and influencing skills to
inspire others and resolve challenging relationship management
situations, collaborating on approaches with Senior Vice
- Managing the execution of individual projects. This typically
includes developing hypotheses, managing data collection, model
creation and analyses, conducting primary and secondary research,
creatively tackling information limitations, and surfacing
- Supporting SVP of Strategy in project delivery through accurate
and high-quality project execution.
- Manage the entire project lifecycle: leverage problem-solving
skills to identify key issues/questions at the beginning of a
project and develop an appropriate work plan, including project
scope, timelines, specific analyses to be completed, and assign
- Coordinate work of cross-departmental teams to ensure project
objectives are achieved and timelines are met; conduct research,
financial modeling, data gathering and analysis.
- Effectively communicate key project findings and
recommendations to various audiences (e.g., senior NYPA staff,
internal and external stakeholders, etc.) by creating and
delivering presentations.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven experience or high potential for applying the management
consulting toolkit in a project leadership capacity.
- Experience in management consulting or other similar strategic
and demanding analytic environment
- Demonstrated interest or experience in energy/utilities,
economic development, and/or public policy issues is strongly
- Experience leading engagements across various business
functions including Operations, IT, Finance, Procurement.
- Proven ability to develop and execute project plans, governance
models, deliverable schedules, as well as proactively identify
risks, issues and challenges to mitigate in an effective
- Understanding of strategy, operations, and management across
business functions in order to have a broad understanding of risk
and compliance management.
- Strong quantitative skills (MS Excel) in financial modelling,
business case development, etc. Must be able to identify and
address data quality gaps, and ensure that data is utilized
- Strong demonstrated written and oral communications and
presentation skills utilizing MS PowerPoint and MS Word.
- Ability to 'set up the problem', manage projects against tight
timelines, and work well in teams
- Ability to look at the big picture and search for insightful,
- Ability to prioritize among competing needs and
- Enterprising, resourceful, and results oriented.
- Pro-active, collaborative and strategic.Education, Experience
- 8 plus years experience including 3-5 years of experience in
strategy consulting and/or energy industry experience.
- Solid industry knowledge is required; breadth across industries
- Strong background in conceptual problem solving and analytical
- Track record of leading and managing teams and delivering
against tight deadlines in fast paced and demanding
- Outstanding communication skills; confidence in presenting to
- Bachelor's degree required (preferably in Business/Economics,
Engineering, or other related/applicable discipline).
- MBA preferred.Physical Requirements
- 10% Travel requiredNew York Power Authority is committed to
providing fair, competitive, and market-informed compensation. The
target salary range for this position is: $147,000-$190,000. Salary
offered will be determined based the successful candidates'
relevant experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities.The New York
Power Authority and Canals Corporation believes that equity,
diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage women,
people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities,
members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans
to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, NYPA/Canals is
committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with
employees who reflect communities across NY and enthusiastically
serve them. We proudly celebrate diversity and do not discriminate
based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran
status, disability status, pregnancy, marital status, genetic
information, arrest record or criminal conviction history, or any
other category protected by law.
We are happy to provide reasonable religious accommodations during
the hiring process for those in need. If you have a disability or
special need that requires a reasonable accommodation, please send
a request to.
Keywords: New York Power Authority, White Plains , Director Corporate Strategy, Executive , White Plains, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...