Civil/Structural Engineer II
Company: New York Power Authority
Location: White Plains
Posted on: January 25, 2023
SummaryProvide civil and structural engineering expertise to
support operations, maintenance, and capital improvements at NYPA
plants and facilities. Major practice areas include: structural
analysis and design, building engineering, bridge engineering, dam
engineering,hydraulic and water resources engineering, geotechnical
engineering, civil transmission engineering, pipe and equipment
support design, and general civil engineering (storm water
management systems, water supply, sanitary sewers, etc.). Specific
skill requirements will depend on the practice area for which
expertise is needed in the department.#LI-AE1Responsibilities
- Design and develop drawings, details, calculations,
specifications, and technical reports adhering to code compliance
and design best practice, to facilitate the construction and
implementation of projects.
- Perform field inspections and assess conditions of
- Support, execute, and review multi-aspect or multi-phase
projects to be completed on schedule and within budget in
collaboration with internal teams, contractors, and external
- Support multidisciplinary engineering teams to complete
projects of moderate complexity.
- Review and comment on technical documents and design
submittals, check design assumptions, calculations, criteria, load
cases, to ensure compliance with codes and design standards.
- Prepare scopes of work, requests for proposals, scheduling,
budgeting, and directing and reviewing work for external
- Participate, evaluate, and recommend selection of vendors,
consultants, and contractors.
- Assign tasks to and directs work of designers, drafters, and
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to develop
technical reports, writing critiques on technical documents and
preparing technical procedures.
- Ability to lead, manage and coordinate the work of consultants
and other technical experts.
- Knowledge of various building codes, standards, current laws,
regulations, construction methods, and industry-wide policies and
- Conceptualize problems, develop and layout construction plans,
sections and details for original designs, repairs, retrofits and
modifications to structures.
- Problem-solving skills with the ability to identify, quantify,
interpret, and utilize information for presentations and
recommendations that support business strategy.
- Highly collaborative and team-oriented, with ability to build
relationships with vendors and all stakeholders across all levels
and business units.
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple projects
within varying competing deadlines.
- Working experience with civil / structural / transmission
design software such as Staad Pro, RISA 3D, RISA Foundation, or
MathCAD, and AutoCAD , PLSCADD or HEC-RAS is a plus.Education,
Experience and Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.
- New York State Professional Engineer License, preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in civil/structural engineering
and design, preferably in utility industry.
- Driver's license required.Physical Requirements
- Up to 25% travel primarily within NY State.
- Ability to access all areas of the plant and conduct physical
evaluations of grounds, structure, and equipment including ability
to climb and work at high elevations and in confined spaces, walk a
significant distance, sometimes on uneven ground, and perform
occasional minor lifting.Military Occupational Specialty Codes
MOS - Army:12A, 12B, 12P, 18C, 24A, 24Z, 51S
MOS - Marines:1120, 1302, 1310, 8824, 8831, 8832, 9622, 9624, 9630,
9631, 9632, 9636
MOS- Navy:EA, MME, UT, 2166, 2167, 2170, 2180, 2181, 2740, 4210,
4270, 4280, 5761, 5904, 5913, 5917, 5925, 5927, 5960, 5961, 5970,
5980, 7273New York Power Authority is committed to providing fair,
competitive, and market-informed compensation. The target salary
range for this position is: $117,500 - $143,500. Salary offered
will be determined based the successful candidates' relevant
experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities.The New York Power
Authority and Canals Corporation believes that equity, diversity,
and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage women, people of
color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of
ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, NYPA/Canals is committed to
building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who
reflect communities across NY and enthusiastically serve them. We
proudly celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on race,
religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity and/or expression, age, veteran status, disability status,
pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, arrest record or
criminal conviction history, or any other category protected by
We are happy to provide reasonable religious accommodations during
the hiring process for those in need. If you have a disability or
special need that requires a reasonable accommodation, please send
a request firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: New York Power Authority, White Plains , Civil/Structural Engineer II, Engineering , White Plains, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!