Project Engineer I (EE)
Company: New York Power Authority
Location: White Plains
Posted on: January 25, 2023
SummaryNYPA's Mission is to lead the transition to a
carbon-free, economically vibrant New York through customer
partnerships, innovative energy solutions, and the responsible
supply of affordable, clean, and reliable electricity.The Project
Engineer supports Energy Services in achieving goals to improve
energy efficiency and stimulate new energy technologies in New York
State through physical projects.#LI-JP1Responsibilities
- Represent NYPA at customer meetings, design meetings,
contractor walk through, and presentations to customers.
- Prepare engineering calculations, estimates, and cost analyses
for feasibility/audit reports.
- Manage and implement multiple lighting, HVAC, controls,
wastewater treatment, and building envelope energy conservation
projects and new project development concurrently.
- Project responsibility can range from 15-20projects depending
on scope. Projects are generally larger and more complex in nature
and require moderate oversight by Management on project
- Develop customer installation commitment documents including
cost recovery agreements requiring the development of economic
analyses and engineering specifications.
- Coordinate projects across multiple engineering disciplines.
Track and prepare status reports for all assigned projects.
- Evaluate project scope, review feasibility reports, make
presentations and recommendations, develop design documents and
specifications, evaluate bid results, and make recommendations for
- Develop and verify engineering, labor and material bid
specifications provided by staff and implementation
- Ensure that all design, code, licensing and operating and
maintenance requirements are met.
- Review project activities for technical content, accuracy, cost
control and schedule.
- Solve problems related to customer bill savings, design and
construction issues. Support the Senior/Lead Project Engineer and
other senior engineers in negotiating change orders to construction
and services contracts.
- Develop and verify all financial and billing documentation
relating to savings calculations supporting the cost-effective
direct install projects.
- Ensure that all financial resources expended by NYPA are fully
recovered from each program participant. Evaluate all change order
claims and payment invoices, while working as a team member with
other engineers inside and outside of NYPA to develop the most
cost-effective project designs.
- Coordinate activities between contractors / consultants /
equipment vendors / customers to provide project construction
quality assurance in adherence to project specifications and
compliance to state and local codes.
- Comply and enforce the compliance of hazardous material
handling, safety and environmental procedures.
- Keep abreast of the latest technological developments, products
and revisions to the NYPA project input parameters (electric
Production and Delivery rates, Interest During Construction (IDC),
financing term, discount rate, Gross Receipt Taxes (GRT),
Contracts, Environmental and Bond Counsel).Knowledge, Skills and
- Strong knowledge of building mechanical/electrical systems and
related codes is required. Strong knowledge of water/wastewater
treatment systems is preferred.
- Technical knowledge across multiple engineering
- Strong background and experience interacting and liaising with
engineering consultants and labor contractors.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to plan,
execute and complete multiple projects from start to finish on time
and within budget with minimal direction and support from
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; good written and verbal
communication skills with the ability to organize information and
effectively present ideas to the intended audience.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze existing conditions in a
facility, and address issues related to contracts, equipment design
- Ability to analyze and address environmental concerns as they
relate to customer requirements and, with the guidance of more
senior engineers, develop cost effective engineering solutions to
non-routine problems. Ability to exercise good judgment and
influence others, while working effectively with consultants,
contractors, and equipment suppliers. Ability to proactively
recognize problems that arise during analysis procedures or in
- Ability to further develop technical knowledge in utility
service rate analyses (gas & electric), energy analysis, life cycle
cost analysis, NYPA contracts, project financing strategies, and
energy systems and controls is required.
- Working knowledge of SAP, Oracle Primavera, and Microsoft Teams
is preferred.Education, Experience and Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or
related engineering discipline.
- Minimum of five (5) years of engineering experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years of project management
- Professional certifications such as Project Management
Professional Certification (PMPC) or Certified Energy Manager
(CEM), or an advanced degree in an engineering, scientific or
business discipline preferred.
- Qualifications to sit for Part I of the PE exam
- Approximately 35% travel primarily within NY State.
- Ability to access all areas of the site and conduct physical
evaluations of grounds and equipment including ability to climb and
work at high elevations, walk a significant distance, sometimes on
uneven ground, and occasional minor lifting.
- Availability to work outside of normal business hours
(including weekends) when project demands.
Military Occupational Specialty Codes
MOS - Army:12A, 12B, 12P, 18C, 24A, 24Z, 51S
MOS - Marines:1120, 1302, 1310, 8824, 8831, 8832, 9622, 9624, 9630,
9631, 9632, 9636
MOS- Navy:EA, MME, UT, 2166, 2167, 2170, 2180, 2181, 2740, 4210,
4270, 4280, 5761, 5904, 5913, 5917, 5925, 5927, 5960, 5961, 5970,
5980, 7273New York Power Authority is committed to providing fair,
competitive, and market-informed compensation. The target salary
range for this position is: $105,500 - $122,900. Salary offered
will be determined based the successful candidates' relevant
experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities.The New York Power
Authority and Canals Corporation believes that equity, diversity,
and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage women, people of
color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of
ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, NYPA/Canals is committed to
building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who
reflect communities across NY and enthusiastically serve them. We
proudly celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on race,
religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity and/or expression, age, veteran status, disability status,
pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, arrest record or
criminal conviction history, or any other category protected by
We are happy to provide reasonable religious accommodations during
the hiring process for those in need. If you have a disability or
special need that requires a reasonable accommodation, please send
a request email@example.com.
Keywords: New York Power Authority, White Plains , Project Engineer I (EE), Engineering , White Plains, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!