Manager - DevOps & Cloud Engineering-REMOTE
Company: Western & Southern Life
Location: White Plains
Posted on: November 16, 2021
Western and Southern Financial Group is a Fortune 500 company and
worldwide life insurance industry leader with over $50 billion of
life insurance inforce. Gerber Life is a subsidiary offering
protection for the entire family with over 3.8 million active
insurance policies. Gerber Life primarily distributes insurance
products through direct marketing and agency methods. A custom
modernized sales software platform created by the IT Solutions
Delivery (ITSD) Team runs all new business and underwriting
operations. ITSD performs all custom application development on the
new platform; specification & design through release management and
production application support.
The Manager of DevOps & Cloud Engineering plays a key role for the
enterprise as a member of ITSD through hands-on management and
optimization of the continuous integration and continuous delivery
(CI/CD) pipeline resulting in the quick and safe release of
incremental software improvements into production. DevOps
techniques are continuously applied by this role in order to avoid
deployment pipeline congestion between various build versions
across multiple environments. Code scan, API and UI test automation
jobs must always run and continue to provide meaningful results
used to qualify each new software build as ready or not for release
into each environment and eventually production. Additionally, this
role constantly assesses sales platform production problems to
identify new test automation opportunities that can be introduced
into the release management process for the purpose of avoiding
regression and reducing the burden of manual UAT overhead. This
role will also focus on evolving the release management process
while collaborating to establish an initial cloud presence for the
The ideal candidate will have experience designing, developing, and
optimizing release management processes in both premise and cloud
based environments. A veteran DevOps Engineer by trade with very
deep and very broad full-stack software engineering experience is
needed. Extensive infrastructure, application, integration, data
and security technology expertise along with a passion for
innovation and hands-on software development leadership is
essential. The ability to coordinate with and contribute alongside
large teams of software and web engineers to deliver solutions that
maximize revenue and minimize cost while meeting business
objectives is necessary. Intellectual curiosity, an unquenchable
thirst for technical knowledge and thriving in a fast-paced agile
environment are key traits for performing well in this
- CI/CD and Test Automation (40%)
- Responsible for continuous improvement and support of the
custom sales platform which processes 100% of Gerber Life's direct
to consumer (DTC) and alternate distribution (agency) new business
and underwriting transactions (-750K life insurance applications
- Employs technology to optimize the sales process for all active
Gerber Life products while ensuring uninterrupted new business and
underwriting processing across the entire custom platform software
suite including: a digital independent agent portal (50K users),
internal agent contact center sales portal (500 users), an
operations portal for entry of paper life insurance applications,
an underwriting workbench supporting both distribution channels and
one set of DTC web desktop applications and another set of DTC
- Adheres to and advances DevOps practices, and components for
- Researches emerging technologies and trends to ensure ITSD uses
the best techniques and tools to maximize software delivery
- Uses experimentation to accelerate new technology adoption.
- Designs and builds automated deployments that simplify
deployment, ensure quality through automated testing, and provide a
- Executes according to a DevOps roadmap.
- Coordinates software release activities with all other IT Teams
(Web, Java, Data and Integration Engineers, Quality Control Teams,
PMO, Infrastructure, Security, Network, 3rd Parties, etc.).
- Oversees test automation and manages to results.
- Hands-on modifications to feature files and accompanying step
implementation for enactment of API and UI (using Selenium)
functional test automation.
- Designs, implements, and supports deep and detailed monitoring
across the code scan and test automation cycles of the DevOps
- Monitors production software for flaws and opportunities for
test automation optimization.
- Cloud engineering (35%)
- Contributes to specification of a DevOps cloud strategy for the
- Collaborates to evaluate and select between private, public and
hybrid cloud models utilizing IaaS, PaaS, and other cloud services
ensuring compliance with all data and cloud security policies and
- Proposes options for cloud-based sales platform high
availability and disaster recovery.
- Implements a new cloud based CI/CD pipeline utilizing
infrastructure as code and scripts.
- Implements and manages workload automation initiatives.
- Software Delivery Leadership (25%):
- Relentlessly fosters ITSD collaboration and exchange of ideas
achieving swift ITSD and cross-team decision-making for evolving
the platform in the best interest of the business.
- Continuously evaluates team dynamics and intervenes to improve
the effectiveness, quality and rate at which Gerber Life can
introduce software change for business impact.
- Educates other groups on ITSD delivery process to set
expectations and understanding for efficient management of
- Creates and sustains impeccable working relationships with all
ITSD team members and provides both technical and professional
guidance to all direct reports, subordinates and ITSD peers.
- Works closely with business architecture, marketing and sales
leadership providing options for employing technology for
incremental revenue and competitive advantage.
- Openly accepts direction and constantly seeks direction from
the business architecture team for all platform improvement
requests received from business partners as well as the
accompanying solutions devised and proposed by ITSD engineers.
- Leads by example by working directly with delivery and
acceptance teams to deliver desired outcomes.
- Must be viewed as a leader in the enterprise by the IT
organization, customers and management.
- Evaluates new prevailing technologies fitness for use and
practices experimentation as a core means of determining technology
- 10+ years of hands on DevOps experience
- 10+ years experience in DevOps roles implementing CI/CD
concepts with container orchestration platforms such as Docker,
- 10+ years experience with 'full-stack' application development
- 10+ years experience with both UI and API level test automation
- 5+ years experience managing DevOps in a cloud environment.
- 10+ years direct marketing and life insurance industry
- 5+ years direct marketing experience
- 5+ years life insurance experience
- Enterprise systems thinking - specifically the ability to see
how individual systems and applications and parts interact with the
enterprise (big picture thinking).
- Comprehensive knowledge of infrastructure, applications,
integration, design patterns, database, agile delivery methods,
build and deployment processes, software development and systems
- Ability to develop a wide range of architecture documents
(application and infrastructure design documents).
- Exceptional executive-level communication skills (written /
oral) and ability to communicate complex technical information to
all stakeholders, including those who do not have a technical
- Must be a team player able to work effectively at all levels of
- Must be an effective technology leader able to build & maintain
solid working relationships across the organization.
- Must have an agile mindset and passion for innovation, agile
delivery methods and continuous integration.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Creative, open-minded and ability to work under indirect
- This is a remote position which requires extensive use of audio
and video conferencing sessions to effectively participate and
collaborate with all members of the organization.
- A disruption-free home office environment is mandatory.
- Quarterly on-site travel to work in offices located in White
Plains, NY (Gerber Life HQ), Fremont MI (Gerber Life Operations)
and Cincinnati, OH (Western and Southern Financial Group HQ)
requires formal and casual business attire.Educational
- M.S. Computer ScienceComputer Skills and Knowledge of Hardware
& Software Required:
- Websphere Application Server, Jetty Web Server
- SQL, No-SQL, Cloud DB Migration Service and Cache technologies
- Cypress, Jasmine, Selenium, Cucumber, J-Meter, J-Unit
- Java, Spring, BPM, SOA and Rule Engines
- Angular, NgRx, CSS, HTML, jQuery, AJAX
- Oracle Maxymiser, CMS (Drupal and Sitecore)
- Identity Management and Single-Sign-On technologies
(Shibboleth, OKTA, Ping)
- GIT, Maven, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, JIRA, Elastic Search,
- Cloud Platforms (Azure, Google Cloud and AWS)Certifications &
- Certified Jenkins Engineer
- Certified Cucumber Test Automation Engineer
- Certified Selenium Test Automation Engineer
- Certified Cloud Practitioner, Certified Cloud Architect,
Certified Kubernetes Admin or equivalent
- Certified Cloud Solutions Architect
- Certified Cloud DevOps Engineerby Jobble
Keywords: Western & Southern Life, White Plains , Manager - DevOps & Cloud Engineering-REMOTE, Engineering , White Plains, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!